Setting up Google Reviews with PowerPack Reviews module is simple but before we begin, first make sure you have these two things –
- PowerPack plugin installed and activated.
- Google Places API Key
Getting the Google Places API Key
Google Reviews integration uses the Google Places API to fetch the reviews and display them. Let us learn how to fetch the API Key.
- Go to the Google API Console.
- Create a new project or select a project from the Select the Project dropdown.
- After creating the project click Enable APIS AND SERVICES option on the project page.
- Select the Places API from the APIs List and click the ‘Enable‘ button.
- After enabling the Places API, select the APIs and Services option and then Credentials option from the sidebar.
- On the next page, select Create Credentials > API Key
7. A modal box will appear with the newly created API key. Now select Restrict Key option to restrict the API Key usage.
NOTE: It is mandatory to restrict the API Key as per the new guidelines by Google.
- Once you’re on the Restriction Settings Page, it is very important to set the right kind of restrictions so that you can use the Places API without any issues.
- Select none from the list as the Places API requires no restrictions for applications.
- In the next step, select the Places API from the restrictions list and click Save to complete the setup.
- After the settings are saved you’ll be redirected back to the Credentials page. Copy the API Key from here.
Add API Key to PowerPack’ Settings
- After copying the API go to the WP Admin > Settings > PowerPack > Integration and paste the API key in the Google Places API key field and click save changes.
Once API key is set you can search and add the place’s ID and add it to the module and the reviews should load.
Get the Place ID
- Go to https://developers.google.com/places/place-id
- Search for the place whose reviews you want to show
- Copy the shown Place ID and paste it into the Reviews Module
That’s it! Now you should be able to see the fetched reviews in the editor.
Note: Google has now made it mandatory to have an active billing account associated with your API key. Click here to enable billing.